Books to Review
Book Review Guidelines
An analytical book review is not simply a summary of the book’s contents. It should give the reader a critical, informative and interesting discussion of the work. It comments on and evaluates the book on certain criteria, including the following:
- the main ideas and major objectives of the book and how effectively these are accomplished;
- what, if anything, does it contribute to the literature and how well does it do this;
- the readership for which it is written;
- constructive comments on the book’s strengths and weaknesses;
- the soundness of the theoretical assumptions, the methodology, if any, and the sources used;
- your own reactions and opinions on the book.
Length: 1000-3000 words. Please look at already-published JMSS reviews to coordinate formatting prior to submission.
Deadline: Please plan to have your completed review submitted within 2 months of receiving the review copy.
Your review should include:
- Author(s)/Editor(s) first and last name(s) – please indicate if it is an edited book
- year of publication
- your first and last name
- institution affiliation
- a brief biographical note
To review a book listed below, please send an email with the citation to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your mailing address if requesting a book be sent to you.
Send completed reviews to Dr. Laurel Halladay, Book Review Editor, at email@example.com
Books Available for Review
- Aboul-Enein, Youssef and Joseph T. Stanik. Middle East 101: A Beginner's Guide for Deployers, Travelers, and Concerned Citizens. Annapolis, MD: US Naval Institute Press, 2019.
- Addleton, Jonathan S. The Dust of Kandahar: A Diplomat Among Warriors in Afghanistan. Annapolis, MD: US Naval Institute Press, 2016.
- Albertson, Trevor. Winning Armageddon: Curtis LeMay and Strategic Air Command, 1948-1957. Annapolis, MD: US Naval Institute Press, 2019.
- Anderson, Virginia DeJohn. The Martyr and the Traitor: Nathan Hale, Moses Dunbar, and the American Revolution. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2017.
- August, Arnold. Cuba-US Relations: Obama and Beyond. Toronto, ON: Fernwood Publishing, 2017.
- Bergen, Bob. Scattering Chaff: Canadian Air Power and Censorship During the Kosovo War. Calgary, AB: University of Calgary Press, 2019.
- Bessner, Ellin. Double Threat: Canadian Jews, The Military and World War II. Toronto, ON: New Jewish Press, 2018.
- Bhuta, Nehal, Susanne Beck, Robin Geiss, Hin-Yan Liu, and Claus Kress, eds. Autonomous Weapons Systems: Law, Ethics, Policy. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- Braithwaite, Rodric. Armageddon and Paranoia: The Nuclear Confrontation Since 1945. London, GB: Profile Books, 2017.
- Byman, Daniel. Road Warriors: Foreign Fighters in the Armies of Jihad. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Campbell, David. It Can't Last Forever: The 19th Battalion and the Canadian Corps in the First World War. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2017.
- Chambers, Paul and Waitoolkiat, Napisa, eds. Khaki Capital: The Political Economy of the Military in Southeast Asia. Copenhagen, DK: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, 2017.
- Charney, Michael W. and Wellen, Kathryn, eds. Warring Societies of Pre-Colonial Southeast Asia: Local Cultures of Conflict Within a Regional Context. Copenhagen, DK: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, 2017.
- Coleman, Bradley Lynn and Longley, Kyle, eds. Reagan and the World: Leadership and National Security, 1981-1989. Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky Press, 2017.
- Conrad, John. Among the Walking Wounded: Soldiers, Survival and PTSD. Toronto, ON: Dundurn Press, 2017.
- Daxner, Michael, Marion Naser-Lather, and Silvia Nicola, eds. Conflict Veterans: Discourses and Living Contexts of an Emerging Social Group. Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018.
- Echevarria, Antulio J. Military Strategy: A Very Short Introduction. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Fridman, Ofer. Enemy Civilian Casualties: Politics, Culture, and Technology. London, UK: Lexington Books, 2019.
- Fox, Aimee. Learning to Fight: Military Innovation and Change in the British Army, 1914-1918. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Gat, Azar. The Causes of War and the Spread of Peace. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Glatthaar, Joseph T. The American Military: A Concise History. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Granatstein, J.L. The Weight of Command: Voices of Canada's Second World War Generals and Those Who Knew Them. Vancouver, BC: University of British Columbia Press, 2016.
- Greener, B.K., ed. Army Fundamentals: From Making Soldiers to the Limits of the Military Instrument. Auckland, NZ: Massey University Press, 2017.
- Groh, Tyrone L. Proxy War: The Least Bad Option. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2019.
- Hart, Peter. The Last Battle: Victory, Defeat, and the End of World War I. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Harvey, Frank P. and John Milton. Fighting for Credibility: US Reputation and International Politics. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press, 2016.
- Hill, Alexander. The Red Army and the Second World War. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Huff, Greg and Shinobu Majirmqa, eds. and trans. World War II Singapore: The Chosabu Reports on Syonan. Singapore: National University of Singapore Press, 2018.
- Jones, Howard. My Lai: Vietnam, 1968, and the Descent into Darkness. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Kaempf, Sebastian. Saving Soldiers or Civilians? Casualty-Aversion versus Civilian Protection in Asymmetric Conflicts. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Lackenbauer, P. Whitney, Adam Lajeunesse, James Manicom, and Frederic Lasserre. China's Arctic Ambitions and What They Mean For Canada. Calgary, AB: University of Calgary Press, 2018.
- Lambert, Andrew, ed. 21st Century Corbett: Maritime Strategy and Naval Policy for the Modern Age. Annapolis, MD: US Naval Institute Press, 2017.
- Ledwidge, Frank. Aerial Warfare: The Battle for the Skies. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Leuprecht, Christian, Joel J. Sokolsky, and Thomas Hughes, eds. North American Strategic Defense in the 21st Century: Security and Sovereignty in an Uncertain World. New York, NY: Springer International, 2018.
- Lovell, David M. and Deane-Peter Baker, eds. The Strategic Corporal Revisited: Challenges Facing Combatants in 21st Century Warfare. Cape Town, SA: University of Cape Town Press, 2018.
- McGeer, Eric. Varsity's Soldiers: The University of Toronto Contingent of the Canadian Officers' Training Corps, 1914-1968. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press, 2019.
- Mhango, Nkwazi Nkuzi. 'Is it Global War on Terrorism' or Global War Over Terra Africana? The Ruse Imperial Powers Use to Occupy Africa Militarily for Economic Gains. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2017.
- Miller, Seumas. Shooting to Kill: The Ethics of Police and Military Use of Lethal Force. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Moon, Zachary. Warriors Between Worlds: Moral Injury and Identities in Crisis. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2019.
- Mulligan, William. The Origins of the First World War, 2nd edition. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Munoz, Antonio J. The German Secret Field Police in Greece, 1941-1944. Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company, 2018.
- Nester, William. America's War Against Global Jihad: Past, Present and Future. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books/Rowman & Littlefield, 2018.
- Priemel, Kim Christian. The Betrayal: The Nuremberg Trials and German Divergence. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Ransom, Roger L. Gambling on War: Confidence, Fear, and the Tragedy of the First World War. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Raymond, Gregory Vincent. Thai Military Power: A Culture of Strategic Accomodation. Copenhagen, DK: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, 2018.
- Remmelink, Willem, ed. and trans. The Invasion of the Dutch East Indies. Compiled by the War History Office of the National Defence College of Japan. Leiden, NL: Leiden University Press, 2015.
- Ridley, Yvonne. Torture: Does it Work? Interrogation Issues and Effectiveness in the Global War on Terror. Essex, UK: Military Studies Press, 2016.
- Riedel, Bruce. Beirut 1958: How America's Wars in the Middle East Began. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press, 2020.
- Ruffa, Chiara. Military Cultures in Peace and Stability Operations: Afghanistan and Lebanon. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2018.
- Simpson, Adam. Energy, Governance and Security in Thailand and Myanmar (Burma): A Critical Approach to Environmental Politics in the South. Copenhagen, DK: Nordic Institute for Asian Studies, 2017.
- Spohr, Kristina and David Reynolds, eds. Transcending the Cold War: Summits, Statecraft, and the Dissolution of Bipolarity in Europe, 1970-1990. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Stavridis, James and R. Manning Ancell, eds. The Leader's Bookshelf. Annapolis, MD: US Naval Institute Press, 2017.
- Stewart, Timothy J. Toronto's Fighting 75th in the Great War, 1915-1919. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2017.
- Stoker, Donald. Why American Loses Wars: Limited War and US Strategy from the Korean War to the Present. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- Struthers, Joel Adam. Appel: A Canadian in the French Foreign Legion. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier Press, 2019.
- Symonds, Craig L. World War II at Sea: A Global History. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Walker, Philip. Behind the Lawrence Legend: The Forgotten Few Who Shaped the Arab Revolt. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Willard-Foster, Melissa. Toppling Foreign Governments: The Logic of Regime Change. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2019.
- Williams, Bryan Glyn. Counter Jihad: America's Military Experience in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2018.